The Battlefield open beta came out on September 28(29 for us) and thanks to us gamers constantly playing Operation Metro on either the PS3, Xbox 360, or PC, the first changes based on feedback have been posted on the Battlefield blog.
Thanks to the Battlefield blog, here are the changes:
- Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
- Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
- Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
- Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
- Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
- A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
- Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
- Tweaked the Rank progression.
- Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
- Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
- Framerate stability fixes.
- The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
- Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
- Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
- Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
- Non working options in squad menu fixed: "Private" flag and "Switch Teams".
Current impressions of Battlefield 3's Open Beta...
Downloaded the Battlefield 3 beta in all 3 platforms. Yes, all three. I wanted to compare the difference with each versions of the game. So far the difference between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 are the shadows. The Shadows for the PS3 seem too deep and distracting, the Xbox 360 in the other hand look a bit lighter and easier to look at. The PS3 and Xbox 360 both play well so there's no issue there. The PC version I couldn't test as much because of my PC giving constant Frame rate drops which slows the game, but looking around the PC version of Battlefield seems to have better quality graphics. You just need a beast PC to witness it.
Bugs are everywhere and can be easily spotted. Again this is the BETA, you get a feel of the gameplay but it isn't the final product. I have 3 hours for both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions and the only game breaking bug that needs to be addressed ASAP is the falling in the world near the first COM-A. It's annoying, players who fell down the earth can still shoot players while bugged. I experienced it in both PS3 and Xbox 360, and Arlie witnessed while testing the PC version. Above is the bug played on the PC. Your best bet to get out of it is either constantly jump until your out or just do suicide.
There are a couple more bugs like killing a player right in the middle of him doing a melee animation kill. Doing so results you alive but in the ground unable to do anything but move around lying down. It's hilarious. Here's a video of the bug. It happens during the start of the video.
Others bugs are graphic glitches, freezes, party system splitting the group when joining a match, and more. Yes, it's the beta but there's so many bugs showing up for a game coming out in a few weeks. The overall gameplay and feel of the game is great, but bugs are bugs. With no vehicles present, I wonder if they tested the vehicles enough to be bug free on launch. I'm sure its crunch time over at DICE, cause from what I'm experiencing, they have a lot to work on.
Hopefully the next batch of fixes will clear most of the bugs when the game releases on October 25. I'm getting it on the PS3 to play with some buddies. I prefer the PC for FPS games especially Battlefield but my PC can't run it that well because of it's fail specs. What about you? what platform are you getting Battlefield 3?