Everything you need to know about Evo 2013
The best fighting game players in the world went head-to-head last weekend at this year's Evo Championship Series in Las Vegas to see who among them are the best in their respected fighting game. The tournament is over and we have our champions, together with new announcements to get players and fans excited for the future. It was one hell of a tournament, and it seems like it just gets bigger and bigger each year. Here's a quick recap of everything you need to know during Evo 2013.
This Evo was huge. Tons of players all around the world showed up and we had a good variety of fighting games in the event this year. Injustice, Super Smash Bros, Skull Girls, Evo has offically become the place to be in order to fight against the best in fighting games.
But enough of that, to the results!
Super Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition v2012
1. DM|Xian (Gen) 2. MCZ|Tokido (Akuma) 3. Infiltration (Akuma, Hakan)
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
1. EMP|Flocker (Zero, Vergil, Hawkeye) 2. EG|Justin Wong (Wolverine, Storm, Akuma | Others) 3. Angelic (Wolverine, Dormammu, Shuma-Gorath)
Injustice: Gods Among Us
1. EMP|KDZ (Superman) 2. Crazy DJT 88 (Green Lantern, Doomsday) 3. AGE|NYChrisG (Green Arrow, Black Adam)
Super Smash Bros. Melee
1. Mango (Fox, Falco) 2. Wobblez (Ice Climbers) 3. CT|Hungrybox (Jigglypuff)
King of Fighters 13
1. AS|Reynald (EX Kyo, Benimaru, Kim | Others) 2. Hee San Woo (Ryo, Takuma, Kim | Others) 3. CafeID|MadKOF (King, Shen, Kim | Others)
Street Fighter X Tekken v2013
1. Infiltration (Jin, Alisa) 2. EG|Justin Wong (Hwoarang, Chun-Li) 3. MOV (Law, Nina | Law, Cammy)
1. Crazy DJT 88 (Cyrax) 2. EMP|REO (Kabal) 3. My God 88 (Sonya Blade, Liu Kang)
Persona 4: Arena
1. Yume (Aigis) 2. LordKnight (Mitsuru) 3. BananaKen (Shadow Labrys)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
1. CafeID|Knee (Lars, Devil Jin | Bruce, Devil Jin) 2. Eightarc|Bronson Tran (Ogre, Jinpachi) 3. AGE|Stringbean (Alisa, Bob)
1. Duckator (Valentine, Filia, Double) 2. Severin (Parasoul, Filia, Double) 3. Chilldog (Cerebrella, Peacock, Filia)
Detailed information on the tournament and it's results can be found at Shoryuken.
This event is no joke anymore. If you have time, go watch the top 8 matches of either Marvel vs Capcom 3, King of Fighters, or Street Fighter. You will feels the intensity and emotions the fighting game community brings to these events. Whether you are unfamiliar or not, the matches are so entertaining and you can't help but give respect for all the players competing. They are really talented in their craft.
The Big Reveals
Evo is so big now, that game developers actually consider this event as an opportunity to reveal exciting news to the community. And since every gamer that loves fighting games is tuned in, it makes perfect sense really.
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Martian Manhunter DLC reveal
During the final day, NetherRealms revealed a new DLC character that everybody was hoping to be included in the playable roster. Martian Manhunter is revealed with a trailer. To spice up the first look at the Martian in action, he fights against a new skin for Green Lantern, which I'm sure a lot of comic book fans would appreciate.
Ultra Street Fighter 4 announced
Don't think Street Fighter 4 is close to dead, it's far from it. Capcom just announced a new upgrade for their highly successful fighting game released in 2009. Ultra Street Fighter 4 will include six new stages, new costumes, a rebalance of previous characters, and five new characters, with one 'mystery' character that has yet to be announced. Capcom stated that this character will be new to Street Fighter, but not new in Capcom. The revealed four though is - Rolento, Posion, Hugo, and Elena. Nothing new, but good additions nevertheless.
If you want to watch or replay the whole last day, you can check Evo2013's twitch.tv archives.