The Last of Us patch 1.02 includes MP fix, and removes sex hotline numbers from SP
Apparently Naughty Dog recently went under fire when players noticed that a portion of the game has Joel and Ellie stumble upon a few hotline numbers placed on the wall. People actually tried to see if these numbers were valid and they were. Problem was those numbers were working sex phone hotline numbers. So, bam. The devs apologized for the mistake and quickly released patch 1.02 to remove it along with multiplayer fixes.
Creative director Neil Druckmann spoke to Kotaku regarding this:
"That was an artist's mistake," . "What happened was, they put some phone numbers in the game and then they thought they could just change the area code to 555, then it's invalid because it's what they do in movies. But I guess that doesn't work when you have a 1-800 in front of it. We're now working to take it out." Druckmann concluded that the working numbers are "just an honest mistake."
It was hilarious that devs get into situations like this. They should realize by now that there will always be at least one person that will do things like test numbers in a video game to see what comes out.
The patch also included a handful of changes in the game's multiplayer, here's the full list of patch 1.02:
- Single player
- Texture of a phone number on a bulletin board changed
- Host migration has been improved. Losing connection to the host during a migration should occur less often
- General crash when leaving multiplayer fixed
- Intro camera fix for some introductory cut-scenes
- Connectivity issues while playing have been tuned
- If you disconnect or lose connection to the host, you will no longer advance a clan day. You will only advance a day if you are kicked from the match, or exit through the menu
- Explosion Expert level 2 should be selectable now
- The voting time for match selection has been reduced to 15 seconds
- “No party” playlist options have been added to both Supply Raid and Survivors, players can only join this playlist solo
- Melee against a downed character now uses the same range as normal melee
[Source: Naughty Dog]